- Dominion Energy West Virginia city plant on Trade Zone Drive, Summersville West Virginia, is designed to meet environmentally stringent requirements
- First West Virginia building in its class to obtain the U.S. Green Building Council’s Silver level certification through the green building program Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design - Version 4 (LEED® v4) and one of only two warehouse facilities in the nation to obtain LEED Silver under the LEED v4 rating system.
- The building is approximately 28 percent more energy efficient than conventional building of the same size and type
The Summersville DEWV building is 6,250 square-feet and was designed by The Thrasher Group of Bridgeport, W.Va., and constructed by D.L. Contracting based in Clay County, W.Va. The building was completed in 2017 and recently obtained the environmental certification with The Thrasher Group serving as the LEED consultant.
Dominion Energy is committed to responsible environmental stewardship and has embraced the LEED initiative to construct sustainable buildings that focus on environmental benefits, energy efficiencies as well as occupant comfort and productivity. “Dominion Energy West Virginia is thrilled to have attained LEED Silver certification from USGBC,” said Mark Barnes, director of gas operations for DEWV. “This elite designation affirms our commitment to providing a safe and healthy work environment for our employees while being environmentally responsible and sustainable.”
- Reflective roof to reduce heat absorption
- Exterior lighting is cut off at the site boundary to reduce light pollution and protect W.Va.’s beautiful night skies
- Designed for a 43 percent reduction in water use by installing efficient water closets, urinals, and faucets
- Purchased green power Renewable Energy Certificates equal to 100 percent of annual building electricity usage over a two year contract
- The project generated less than 2.5 pounds of construction waste per square-foot
- Low emitting adhesives, sealants, paints, furniture
- Green cleaning program
- Daylighting for 96 percent of all commonly occupied areas to reduce lighting loads
“Thrasher is proud to have assisted Dominion Energy to achieve their vision of an environmentally-friendly facility,” said Craig Baker, architecture division manager, The Thrasher Group. “As a firm committed to improving communities where we live and work, we are excited to offer LEED consulting. We fundamentally believe we can help clients find savings and efficiencies through smart design.”
Mahesh Ramanujam, president and CEO for USGBC, said, “The work of innovative building projects such as Dominion Energy WV’s Summersville location is a fundamental driving force in transforming the way structures are built, designed and operated.” Ramanujam added, “Buildings that achieve LEED certification are lowering carbon emissions, creating a healthier environment and reducing operating costs while prioritizing sustainable practices. Because of Dominion Energy WV, we are increasing the number of green buildings and getting closer to USGBC’s goal to outpace conventional buildings, while being environmentally and socially responsible and improving the quality of life for generations to come.”
Nearly 6 million customers in 19 states energize their homes and businesses with electricity or natural gas from Dominion Energy (NYSE: D), headquartered in Richmond, Va. The company is committed to sustainable, reliable, affordable, and safe energy and is one of the nation's largest producers and transporters of energy with over $78 billion of assets providing electric generation, transmission and distribution, as well as natural gas storage, transmission, distribution, and import/export services. As one of the nation's leading solar operators, the company intends to reduce its carbon intensity 50 percent by 2030. Through its Dominion Energy Charitable Foundation, as well as EnergyShare and other programs, Dominion Energy plans to contribute more than $30 million in 2018 to community causes throughout its footprint and beyond. Please visit www.DominionEnergy.com, Facebook or Twitter to learn more.
The Thrasher Group
The Thrasher Group is a multi-disciplinary firm offering architecture, civil engineering, survey, environmental, and planning services in addition to construction inspection and materials testing services to public and private clients throughout the Mid-Atlantic United States. Thrasher is committed to improving communities by driving infrastructure development. Visit www.thethrashergroup.com for more information.